You are here:

Our History

The Charity for Civil Servants started life as The Civil Service Benevolent Fund in January 1886.

Over the years a lot has changed; right up to our decision to rename ourselves The Charity for Civil Servants in May 2012.

Key dates

29 January 1886 - Our first AGM

1887 - Queen Victoria becomes our first Patron

1889 - We provide a grant to establish the Civil Service Insurance Society

1918 - Help given to serving civil servants for the first time

1929 - First woman elected onto Committee of Management

1947 - A merger with Civil Service Fund (formerly War Distress Fund); temporary staff allowed to apply for help

1953 - Blatchington House is opened - our first convalescent home

1967 - General Secretary JP Wolstenholme plays a pivotal role in the creation of the Civil Service Retirement Fellowship

1975 - We help to establish Crown Housing Association

1981 - Magician Paul Daniels launches Fund'81; a successful appeal year

1986 - Centenary Year - the Queen opens Lammermuir House; while another appeal raises over £450,000

1997 - The Charity reluctantly agrees to part with care homes across UK; they had become unsustainable

1999 - A Constitutional Reform process changes our rules more substantially than at any time since 1947

2004 - Constitutional Reform concludes; all members are given equal voting rights

2010 - Incorporation, Charity Commission registration, streamlining of membership

21 May 2012 - We rename ourselves The Charity for Civil Servants, making us more relevant to the people we're here to help

Give us a call...

For confidential support and advice call 0800 056 2424